ACCA Membership No. 0762542

"Excellent service, I can’t believe I have £2,125 due to me."

ACCA logo Registered traidmark of Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When might you have overpaid tax?

A: You might have overpaid tax if:

All of these things and more can mean you paid too much tax.

| top

Q: I am worried about the safety of my money?

A: The money will always be sent as a cheque payable to yourself and will always be sent via recoded delivery.

| top

Q. Do I get all of my tax back?

A: If you have earned less than £6,035 in the 08-09 financial year then you will receive a full tax rebate of tax paid. If you have earned over your tax-free allowance, click HERE to calculate your rebate.

| top

Q: If I leave the UK permanently, can all the tax be refunded to me?

A: Only the part you overpaid. In most cases, it is the same as only working part of the year.

| top

Q: How long does it take to claim tax back?

A: A claim usually takes 4-8 weeks, this may increase slightly if you have a temporary National Insurance number or require P45 or P60 information.

| top

Q: Can you transfer my money abroad?

A: This is possible to do but at an extra cost of £20.

| top

Q. How do I know if I am paying emergency tax?

A: If there is a suffix or prefix on your code then you have an emergency code. The most common are; W1, M1, BR, X, WK1, MTN1. You can find this on your payslip, P45 or P60. The standard tax code for 2008-2009 is 603L.

| top

Q. What official documents are required by HMRC?

A: You will need to make a signed declaration of various facts but will not be asked to produce a Passport or provide Work Permit details.

| top

Q: Can I claim the refund by myself?

A: Yes. If you chose to carry out your own claim there are a few things you will need to keep in mind. The process of organising the relevant documents and forms can be quite time consuming and may require further interaction with HMRC, sometimes by phone. Doing it your self might mean that you miss out on other financial benefits as you may not be aware of them. It is possible that you may have missed out on a large rebate that may not have been apparent to you.

| top

Q: Do I have to wait until receiving the end of year P60?

A: No, you can claim anytime- assuming your employment has terminated.

| top

Q: What is Statement of Earnings?

A: Companies aren't allowed to issue replacement P60's so if you lose one they need to give you a statement of earnings, it will be on their headed paper and will show your gross earnings and any tax that was deducted in that tax year.

| top

Q: Do you have any hints to increase my refund?

A: Tell us ALL your work-related expenses – we can claim some of them back.

| top